Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, appeared to be in distress in his first sighting since his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The former Duke of York was photographed with a shocked expression on his face as he hid in the backseat of a car driving out of Aylsham Police Station in the United Kingdom on Thursday, February 19 - his 66th birthday. He was accompanied by a male driver and an unidentified man. Earlier on Thursday, Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office while he was working as a British trade envoy between 2001 and 2011. He was accused of allegedly sharing confidential trade documents with late convicted rapist Jeffrey Epstein, who died by suicide in jail at age 66 in August 2019. (Epstein was arrested on federal charges for the sex trafficking of minors in Florida and New York in July 2019. He pleaded not guilty to the charges before his death.) Why Was Prince Andrew Arrested? Charges Explained, Royal Family's Reaction Andrew could face life in prison if convicted. The U.K.'s Thames Valley Police confirmed on Thursday that it had "arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office," adding that searches were being carried out in Berkshire and Norfolk. Though the police force said it would not be identifying the man per national guidance, multiple outlets - including the BBC - identified the man as Andrew. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor leaves Aylsham Police Station on the day he was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, in Aylsham, Britain, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Phil Noble Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said in a statement, "Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offense. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time." The BBC reported that Andrew was arrested early Thursday morning at the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, England, where he moved after leaving his house in Windsor earlier this month. Unmarked police cars were reportedly seen near the estate. Peter Nicholls/Getty Images Us Weekly reached out to Andrew's lawyer and Buckingham Palace for comment following his arrest. The Thames Valley Police confirmed to the BBC earlier this month that it was investigating the misconduct allegations against Andrew. Additionally, the police department confirmed that it was assessing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the U.K. by Epstein for a sexual encounter with Andrew. The encounter allegedly occurred at Andrew's former residence, Royal Lodge in Windsor, in 2010, according to the BBC. Buckingham Palace announced in October 2025 that Andrew's brother, King Charles III, would be stripping the former prince of his royal style, titles and honors amid public scrutiny over his association with Epstein, as well as sexual assault allegations. "Prince Andrew will now be known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. His lease on Royal Lodge has, to date, provided him with legal protection to continue in residence," the palace said in a statement at the time. "Formal notice has now been served to surrender the lease and he will move to alternative private accommodation. These censures are deemed necessary, notwithstanding the fact that he continues to deny the allegations against him." Prince William, Kate Middleton Support King Charles After Andrew's Arrest In 2019, Virginia Giuffre accused Andrew of sexually assaulting her when she was 17 after being trafficked by Epstein. Giuffre, who died by suicide in April 2025 at age 41, settled a lawsuit against Andrew for an undisclosed amount of money in 2022. Andrew has denied any wrongdoing. Charles, 77, reacted to his brother's arrest in a statement issued by Buckingham Palace on Thursday. "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office," he said. "What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and cooperation." Charles continued, "Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all."
Us Weekly
Critical Prince Andrew Looks Distressed in 1st Sighting After Arrest
February 19, 2026
8 hours ago
9 celebrities mentioned
Health Alert:
This article contains serious health-related information
(Severity: 10/10).
Original Source:
Read on Us Weekly
Health Analysis Summary
Our AI analysis has identified this article as health-related content with a severity level of 10/10.
This analysis is based on keywords, context, and content patterns related to medical news, health updates, and wellness information.
Celebrities Mentioned
Share this article: